Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fall-From-Grace

My past is not a long one, at least by tanar'ri standards. I do
not know if you are familiar with the tanar'ri, but we are a
race of the Abyss, a staggered series of Planes filled with
chaos and evil hearts.

I am a tanar'ri, a fiend, a succubus... I grew up upon the
first plane of the Abyss. My mother was a succubus herself --
as I'm sure you are aware, succubi tempt mortals to bring their
souls to the Abyss. My mother was among the finest, seducing
countless mortal men to their eternal damnation. She now
dwells in the Abyss, selling her children into slavery.

She sold me to the baatezu, the blood enemies of the tanar'ri.
I think she rather expected that they would kill me -- despite
her knowledge of other subjects, she knows little of their
culture and the delight they take in tormenting others.

Fortunately, the baatezu are a proud species. The thought a
tanar'ri could best them at anything was something intolerable
to them. So I challenged one of the proudest of the balor to a
contest of improvisation, and it was here that my tanar'ri
heart allowed me to win the day. The tanar'ri are chaotic
creatures, wild and unpredictable. The baatezu are more
cunning fiends, with orderly hearts. They understand
improvisation, but they are not among its best practitioners.
And thus, I won my freedom.

That was a very long time ago. I left the lower planes for
Sigil. I encountered the Society of Sensation, and my
experiences upon the baatezu instilled in me a desire to learn
more of the multiverse.

Why? I believe there is a truth to the multiverse... even if
that truth is that there is no truth at all. I believe that
the Planes are meant to be experienced, and the more one
experiences, in traveling, in joy, in pain, in merriment or in
suffering, the more the multiverse reveals itself to you...

And the more you are revealed to yourself.

No comments: